The area surrounding the Hopfenmarkt and Nikolai Church was originally founded as Neustadt (or ‚new town‘) by Count Adolf III. in the 12th century, but is part of Hamburg‘s Altstadt (or ‚old town‘) district today. The Hopfenmarkt became the most impor- tant market in town during the 13th century, boas-ting up to 900 stalls in its heyday. It was particularly important for beer brewers, who bought their hops here. However, the destruction brought about by World War II changed the urban landscape in Hamburg‘s oldest part significantly. Between 1958 and 1963, the broad street cutting from east to west known as Willy-Brandt-Strasse and Ludwig-Erhard-Strasse today was constructed, severing direct connections to the neighbourhoods south of the new road. This largely disrupted the quality of stay in these parts of town. The City of Hamburg has now decided to reinvigorate the area. The new building on Willy-Brandt-Strasse 69 is to be part of this plan, acting as a hinge connecting past and present, linking City and Speicherstadt. The Hopfenmarkt in front of Nikolaikirche is an essential part of this renewal. It can now be reached via a ground-level crossing of Willy-Brandt-Strasse, at the height of the new building. The former crossing via the Cremonbrücke pedestrian bridge was pulled down to make way for new buildings, so that the Tichelhaus can be part of the revival of the neighbourhood as a lively place with great quality of stay.